• New Upper School Academic Center Opens

    On the first day of school in September 2012, Newark Academy celebrated the grand opening of the new Upper School Academic Center, NA’s first new academic building since moving to the Livingston campus in 1964.

    The ribbon-cutting ceremony included an address by Blackie Parlin, a faculty member since 1959. Parlin, who had been present for the 1964 campus opening, recalled, “We were in the middle of a presidential campaign that year, too—between Lyndon Johnson and Barry Goldwater.” In a nod to the amazing technology capabilities that the new academic center offers, he described the equipment that students arrived with in 1964: “#2 Ticonderoga pencils and purple erasers.”

    The building is on track for certification by the U.S. Green Building Council as LEED-compliant (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design).